User roles for Pega support accounts
General Support Access
User roles for Pega support accounts
User roles permit people in your enterprise to engage with Pega support teams and to handle support tickets for your Pegasystems support account. The user roles that Account Administrators can assign to Pega users in their enterprise vary depending on whether the Pegasystems support account is qualified as an on-premises Pega product account, a Client-Managed Cloud account, or a Pega Cloud® services account.
When an Account Administrator manages the support contacts for their Pegasystems support account, they assign each contact the role-based access that they need to work with support and self-service resources at Pega.
General Support Access is the default role with default permissions that every user has in a Pegasystems support account. Therefore, this role is not available for selection when an Account Administrator adds users and assign them roles.
The additional roles -- Support Contact Administrator, Security Contact, and Cloud Specialist -- are advanced roles that an Account Administrator can assign when adding users. One or more of these additional roles can be assigned to a user.
On Premise or Client-Managed Cloud
|Pega Cloud||Role Details|
|Account Administrator||Yes||Yes||Three (3) is the recommended minimum for this role.|
|* General Support Access||Yes||Yes||All affiliated users have this role by default.|
|Security Contact||Yes||Yes||One (1) or more senior managers or similar authorities can have this role.|
One (1) or more specialists can have this role for multiple production systems.
*All users affiliated with an account can monitor and submit support tickets for the account.
The Account Administrator is also known as the Support Contact Administrator.
The Account Administrator role grants the user the ability to add and remove support contacts and grants the authority to modify the role assignments for any user.
Your account should have at least three (3) Account Administrators for contingency.
As an Account Administrator, you should review and update the user roles for your Pegasystems support account frequently:
- At least quarterly
- When you renew your support contract
- When personnel changes occur
General Support Access
By default, any user added to a Pegasystems support account is assigned the General Support Access role.
General Support Access grants the user permission to the following resources:
- My Support Portal to create, view, update, and subscribe to support tickets
- My Pega > My Software to order and download Pega software
- Pega Predictive Diagnostic Cloud to monitor the performance and health of applications, for both on-premises and cloud environments.
These default permissions are inherited by the additional roles that can be assigned to users.
By virtue of the default General Support Access, all users affiliated with a Pegasystems support account receive communications related to support issues from Pega. They can unsubscribe from communications by setting their Notification Preferences, as described in My Support Portal Frequently Asked Questions, Communicating on tickets.
The Security Contact role designates the user as an official security contact for the account. Security Contacts receive periodic security alerts from Pegasystems.
- Senior managers or similar authorities should be assigned this role.
- For Pega Cloud services accounts, the Security Contact is, by default, the person who authorizes Cloud Change (CC) requests for Cloud systems that have an information security impact. Cloud Change (CC) requests that have an information security impact require written client security approval. For more information, see Change Management process.
- In production environments, ensure that Pega Cloud client information is protected.
The Cloud Specialist role is assigned to clients with Pega Cloud deployments.
The Cloud Specialist role (formerly divided between the Cloud Admin and Cloud Change roles) plays a critical role as the primary communication channel and approver of maintenance requests.
The Cloud Specialist can request Cloud Changes and Cloud Assistance, as explained in Creating a support ticket, Request a Support Service.
The Cloud Specialist is the individual who the Pegasystems Cloud Support Team alerts of any issues with your Cloud system.
Cloud Specialists receive system status alerts for the following situations:
- When issues are detected during routine environment monitoring
- When Pegasystems proactively identifies an issue needing attention
- When urgent Cloud system status messages are sent from the Pegasystems Cloud Support team
Cloud Specialists receive notifications from Pega for both product and cloud issues. They can unsubscribe from communications by setting their Notification Preferences, as described in My Support Portal Frequently Asked Questions, Communicating on tickets.
Consider the following factors when assigning users to the role of Cloud Specialist:
- You must always have at least one Cloud Specialist assigned to your Pega Cloud service account.
- You can affiliate Cloud Specialists with specific cloud projects and environments.
Pega has implemented granular access to Pega Cloud client environments in My Support Portal (MSP) and My Pega Cloud (MPC).
If you have multiple production systems, potentially associated with different projects or departments, you can affiliate Cloud Specialist users with specific cloud projects and environments.
For more information, see Managing support contacts, Add user.
- After you affiliate a user with a specific cloud project or environment groups, the user will notice the following impacts in My Support Portal and My Pega Cloud:
- In My Support Portal, the user receives cloud maintenance notifications only from the projects and environments with which they are affiliated.
- In My Pega Cloud, the user is able to download logs and restart environments only for those projects and environments with which they are affiliated.
- Regardless of their affiliation, the user can --
- See all data in My Support Portal and My Pega Cloud.
- Create Cloud Change tickets for any project or environment.
- Select individuals with the appropriate expertise and judgment to serve in this significant role.
- The Cloud Specialist works with the Security Contact for your Pega Cloud service account.
- The Cloud Specialist has access to My Pega Cloud to manage cloud environments as explained in Managing your environments in the My Pega Cloud.
See also Change Management for Pega Cloud Services.