On the 8.1 System Arch Essentials VM, the SLAs are not calculating as expected. They seem to be taking the Goal and Deadline time and subtracting 3 hours from them.
For example, when I set the SLA Goal for the 1st assignment(Enter Customer Information) to 9 hours(2nd screenshot) then run the case, the SLA displayed shows 6 hours(1st screenshot). I have tried this on a few steps and appears reproducible with the same 3 hour difference:
This SLA calculation error also seems to be occurring in the Capstone exercise, User Story 120:
As a rental reservation representative, I would like to promptly enter reservation requests into the Reservation system of record so that vehicles are reserved and available for customers during their reservation dates.