Applies to Pega Platform versions 8.1 through 8.5
Pega system startup fails when running against an Oracle database that is the PegaRULES database after you apply certain Pega 8.x patch releases or after you update to Pega 8.x. Your Pega application becomes inaccessible; the login screen does not appear. You also see database connection errors.
When Oracle is the PegaRULES database, the database connection error looks like this example:
Caused by: com.pega.pegarules.pub.database.DatabaseException: Database-General ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
Pega has added Oracle metadata query optimizations to help boost the platform runtime performance.
Pega Platform versions 8.1.9, 8.2.8, 8.3.5, 8.4.3, 8.4.4, 8.5.2, 8.5.3 and 8.6 (pending) have the Oracle metadata query optimizations enabled by default. As a prerequisite, Pega requires that the SELECT and ALTER SESSION database privileges be granted to the platform Oracle database user as specified in Solution.
Apply the latest Pega Platform version 8 Patch Release
Choose the solution for the Pega Platform version 8 release that you are using:
- Apply the latest and final Pega Platform version 8.1 Patch Release, which is Pega 8.1.9, and apply HFix-69504. Then either enable optimization or disable it.
- Apply the latest and final Pega Platform version 8.2 Patch Release, which is Pega 8.2.8, and apply HFix-70496. Then either enable optimization or disable it.
- Apply the latest and final Pega Platform version 8.3 Patch Release, which is Pega 8.3.6. Then either enable optimization or disable it.
- Apply the latest Pega Platform version 8.4 Patch Release, which is Pega Platform version 8.4.4 or later release if available. Then either enable optimization or disable it.
- Apply the latest Pega Platform version 8.5 Patch Release, which is Pega Platform version 8.5.3 or later release if available. Then either enable optimization or disable it.
How to enable optimization
- To allow Oracle database optimization, set the following Dynamic System Setting:
- Specify the following privileges:
grant select on sys.v_$parameter to <baseUser>
grant alter session to <baseUser>
<baseUser> is the database username that is configured for the Pega application to use.
The SELECT permission on the v$parameter table gives the Pega Platform information about Oracle database’s optimizer mode, which is temporarily altered for the current Pega session for running the metadata query.
If the application is adequately performant and if the Oracle DBA chooses not to grant the database privileges, you can disable the optimization by setting the DSS value for allowOptimization to false.
How to disable optimization
Oracle database optimization can be turned off in all the latest Pega Platform Patch Releases.
How to request a hotfix