Last activity: 11 Feb 2022 9:39 EST
Chrome extension making system slow
I recently installed Chrome extension to my Pega plugin. But resulted in my system being super slow, that even a file save on Visual Studio was taking 3-4 mins. Building a solution with 4-5 projects would easily take 20 minutes.
I tried reinstalling Pega plugin and the extension and then had other issues (as in https://collaborate.pega.com/question/pega-robotics-chrome-extension-missing-chrome-browser) which finally got solved.
I now have Chrome extension back and my system is slow again. Tried turning off the extension in Chrome - doesnt help. If I remove the extension system works normally. But I need the extension for my regular work.
Any pointers please?
@SreejaP3444 The extension (when enabled) starts a process called OpenSpan.Translators.Web.MessagingHost.exe whenever the extension is loaded for the first time. Do you have some security software that is interacting with this process somehow? The extension alone does not interact with anything other than the browser it is loaded into (Chrome or Edge). There must be something else going on if it is affecting Visual Studio itself. What version of the Pega Robotics Studio Plugin and what version of the extension are you using?
@ThomasSasnett I dont think its a security software thats affecting as none of my teammates who are on similar systems and environments as mine seem to have this issue.
I'm using the Pega 19.1.98 plugin. Not sure about the extension version. I installed it as part of the Pega plugin install.
My Chrome version is Version 97.0.4692.99
@SreejaP3444 So just to clarify; if you disable the Chrome extension but leave it installed in your browser, the machine performance is normal?
@ThomasSasnett no i that didn't work. When I removed the extension from Chrome it worked normally.
@SreejaP3444 That does not make sense in my experience. At this point, I would suggest that you open a support request. Someone from support can schedule a meeting with you to observe the issue and determine the cause. If you do open a support request though, please add the support number here so we can add any resolution back to this post.
@ThomasSasnett Sure will be creating a support request and update here.
@SreejaP3444 Can you take a look in Task Manager at your system performance and process when you have the issue? Do you see anything especially using a large amount of the CPU or a large amount memory?
Updated: 3 Feb 2022 12:21 EST
@ThomasSasnett I see a lot of Chrome.exe in Task manager even though I only have 1 window(with 1 tab) open. Seeing some other apps too showing multiple exe's even though there is only 1 instance of those open.
CPU utilisation I'm seeing it spikes every time I do something on my solution - like automation save, or solution build or validate.
Chrome doesnt open the first time I open it(manually or through Pega) I also keep getting the popup which says something like 'Failed to connect in 20 seconds. Do you want to continue waiting'?
- When you open a Chrome tab, there are several different Chrome processes created. This is expected behavior with or without the Pega Robotics extension.
- This would be expected as certain operations in Visual Studio can be CPU-intensive.
- I am not sure what you mean here by Chrome not opening the first time you open it.
- The error message you are seeing means that the extension is not installed properly. When you install the extension properly, it registers the extension ID with messaging host and has the ability to launch it. If it is not installed correctly, then when you launch a universal adapter that expects messaging host to start within 20 seconds and it doesn't, that error will appear.
I really think that you need someone from support to examine your machine and your challenges as it all seems to come back to not being able to install the extension properly on your machine for whatever reason.
@ThomasSasnett Thank you. Support request INC-210307 has been raised.
Updated: 11 Feb 2022 9:39 EST
Support team was able to fix most of the issues. It was due to a bad install when I upgraded my Pega runtime. There were some folders that didn't get removed during the uninstall at some point. So an uninstall, manual cleanup of all Pega folders and a fresh install helped fix. System is much faster, though I still get the "Failed to start the messaging host" message sometimes. But a system restart helps fix that.