Last activity: 29 Jun 2021 4:56 EDT
RPA Microsoft Word Automation -- Add Table into Document
The MicrosoftWord connector allows you to add a table to a document. Here is a sample automation that you can import into your projects to add a table to the beginning or end of a document. To call this automation your input parameters include:
- a reference to your MicrosoftWord connector
- a boolean indicating if you want to add to beginning or end of document
- the number of rows in the table
- the number of columns in the table
- the WdBuiltinStyle to apply to the table (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.office.interop.word.wdbuiltinstyle?view=word-pia)
A couple of items for your attention:
- The WordConnector WordDocument property gives you access to all of the properties, methods and events of your document. Extract a proxy from that property and explore the wealth of options available.
- Many of the methods available in Word have a number of parameters that you may not need or want to provide. The MicrosoftExcel connector has a property called Missing which can be used to supply these parameters (we will add this to the MicrosoftWord connector soon).
- Many methods require special types of input but you cannot select the input directly on the block. Notice how we use a label to allow for selecting from a Word enum value and then passing that into a method.
- To learn what enum value to use, refer to Microsoft's documentation found here- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/microsoft.office.interop.word?view=word-pia. Find the name of the enum and then using the Browse option when adding a parameter navigate to Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word to find the enum by name.
Hope this help you get started doing complex automations in Microsoft Word. There are other possibilities you can explore. The _Document Content is a Range. You can select any section of the document as a Range and then after collapsing it insert the table before or after it. If you don't collapse the Range, the table will replace the Range.